Saturday, January 24, 2009

Whew, this was a long first week of classes. I had a great time and felt pretty good about my teaching and work in general but my brain was fried by the end of just about every day this week. We had a slew of student issues, finished a schedule draft, a couple of U-wide emergency meetings, and I taught a new class. Last night I ate dinner, inhaled a couple beers while watching The Office/30 Rock, finished Revolutionary Road, and collapsed. S was up before five, watching Sportscenter, but a couple minutes ago he declared he was returning to bed.

Maybe I should bullet point this week. Shall we?

• I’ve pushed hard at the gym. On non-basketball days I’m doing either twenty or thirty minutes on the elliptical and running either three or four miles at a 7MPH pace. On basketball days I’m knocking out thirty minutes on the elliptical then playing hoops for an hour. Yesterday by the end of the hour I had nothing left in my legs. I’m considering taking today off. We’ll see. The gym opens in an hour. I’ve only taken off six days since November first.
• Tonight we have symphony tickets. We’ll probably go out to eat beforehand. I’m looking forward to it. The temps are supposed to hit single digits, but this week was a little warmer, and the symphony hall’s parking garage has a skywalk that leads directly to our seats, so no complaints.
• S scratched his eyes this week while playing football with T. Or maybe I should say T accidentally scratched S’s eye while they were playing football. He had to wear an eye patch Thursday. He’s fine now, I guess. Pirate jokes abounded.
• N’s reading is improving but I still want him to read more. I don’t think he tests well.
• Basketball…on Wednesday I couldn’t miss, on Friday I couldn’t hit one.
• I finished Revolutionary Road. More on that on Goodreads. I started The Soul Thief…good so far.

I feel calmer and happier than I have in a long time. I’m not sure I can explain why.
When something negative takes place, even something small (e.g. traffic, I miss a shot) I can breathe through it and let it go better than before. Let me talk through this a little. Shadow’s death impacted me a ton. I still miss her. Last night I wanted her next to me, I wanted to play with her upstairs, I wanted to kiss her head before we fell asleep. But I value so much the time we had together. And I guess this will sound a little clichéd, but when I get caught in traffic or something pisses me off I can breathe through the frustration and frame the momentary inconvenience as not that important. I can let go of drama and carefully choose my interactions. I can treat people well. I want my kids to grow up watching me handle issues without losing my cool. They need that model, and I haven’t always provided it. So I guess I can see a little further lately.

That’s it for now. Have a good Saturday.

1 comment:

Mrs. Nolte said...

IMHO it is all the working out that is helping you to deal with stress and emotional pain right now. It amazes me how much stress we hold in when we don't do daily physical releases.

I scratched my eye when I was about your son's age. I was climbing a Russian olive tree in my neighbor's yard and a thorn fell into my eye. I spent the whole day in agony, writhing around with a cold washcloth before my mom took me to the emergency room. I, too, wore a patch for a day. My mom wouldn't let me wear it to school on Monday - as much as I begged.

Your evening sounds nice, enjoy the symphony for me.