Friday, January 02, 2009

So my dog is dead. Last night she didn’t eat, again, and except for a short burst of energy fueled by a mad desire to pee, I think, she crashed on the futon and struggled to breathe. M and I talked about our options, and I called the vet at 10PM. Unfortunately his daughter answered the phone and then, thinking the machine picked up, hung up the phone. I didn’t want to call back and cause problems, so I took a melatonin and crashed on the couch. I woke at four to find Shadow walking through the house, a lap of the first floor, then back on the futon. She still hadn’t eaten and the breathing appeared worse. Also, she wouldn’t lick me at all and seemed to have spasms close to a seizure near her throat and mouth.

You know, as I write this I keep glancing down at the futon, expecting her to be there. We had a wordless sense of each other in the house. I hope that’s her spirit I’m sensing.

I showered, ate, and called the vet at 7:15AM. He said he could be here by nine. I checked my email, cleaned a little, then sat next to Shadow and gave her water. I sat close, petting her fur, and thanked her for all the walks, the warmth, the joy, and the love. I reminisced about the woods and playing in the backyard. I talked about first meeting her back in Chicago and living on Seeley in our tiny apartment. I said goodbye. The vet arrived but Shadow hardly responded to his presence. I told the vet about the last few days and told him to let me know if her quality of life was reasonable. He said she was gasping for breath, probably could linger a little, but she wasn’t living well and the pain would increase soon. I’ve known this vet for over a decade, and I trust him, so we got started. At first I held Shadow but this seemed to be less comfortable for her so I put her on the futon. The vet shaved her paw, struggled to find a vein (low blood pressure) but shot the first shot, the anesthesia, without too much difficulty. The second shot went in the other paw, and after about thirty seconds of breathing, Shadow died. Goodbye, little girl. Goodbye. The vet said we made the right call but expressed that he wished she could have held on until the boys saw her. I’m torn on that issue. I don’t know if the boys would have wanted to see her in this state, or if it would have been good for them, but I’m worried they’ll blame me for the death. Sometimes you have to do the right thing even if it means your kids are going to be mad at you. I understand the biological desire to survive but I wouldn’t want her to continue to feel that pain. We’re getting the ashes back, like we have with all our animals, so the vet got a blanket and a bodybag from his car. I helped him wrap her up and he left. Now I’m here, looking down at the fur left from when he shaved her paw. Should I save some? I don’t know. My memories might be enough.

So now what do I do, you know? I put on my socks and shoes and run errands, Costco, Blockbuster, the library. I want to get out of the house. I feel her with me. Thank you, Shadow. Thank you. I can see you running in the fields.

2 comments:

hundeschlitten said...

You have our sympathies, Tony. It sounds like it went as well as can be expected. I think it was a good thing that you could spend the last couple of days with Shadow without having to worry about work and all the other nagging distractions.

In the "for what it's worth" department, both Melissa and I dreamt about Shadow last night. May her spirit be at peace.

Your earlier soliloquy on the nature of what we can share with a dog is an interesting one. I have sometimes thought about it with Ahab, that we have this sympathetic bond about a lot of day-to-day things, and we defintely feed off each other's emotions. But there is a cognitive line that a dog cannot cross which I think relates to a dog's lack of awareness of its own consciousness. I'd say it's the inverse of a dog's sense of smell. There are times when Ahab leads me down some path, excited by a smell that I will never recognize. And I think that is a model for how to treat our dogs in these moments. A dog obviously knows when she is in pain, and I think she even has a vague idea that she is dying, and then the dog's ability to pick up on our feelings helps bridge the gap between what we know and what they sense. We lead them down that path, probably more for our sake than theirs, because that is how humans remember and grieve.

random anthony said...

Thanks, sir...I'm glad I had a chance to say goodbye to her, and I still feel here presence in the house. I'm glad she had a chance to visit you in her dreams.