Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Has the 28th arrived already? N is home from kindergarten today, off so next year’s kindergarteners can visit the building. I think. Anyway, he’s off. This morning I woke a little after five, late for me, and arrived at the Y in time for basketball, where I missed a wide open layup after a steal but otherwise played adequately. After lifting upstairs I returned home and worked out on the repaired elliptical for thirty minutes. M and the two older boys headed out to school while N and I settled in for the day. At first I thought of driving down to Whole Foods but we ended up home most of the morning, watching tv, playing on dual computers, and chatting about this and that. For the first time in a while I couldn’t understand what he was trying to tell me today (something about a game he was playing on the computer) and I could see how downhearted he gets when he can’t get his point across. I usually understand him and I hope others do as well. No one at school seems especially worried about his speech so I try to defer to their expertise, but how can we not worry about him? He’s such a wonderful kid, and I just want him to have friends and be happy.

The last couple of days have been interesting. There is some MAJOR U-wide drama developing at work. I’m not that close to the drama but when the U is on edge some of the drama can’t help but spill over into our building and our interactions with other entities throughout campus. I’ve received two rude emails from the business side and I’m waiting on a response from another person that will probably be rude as well. Yay. I wonder if the winter and failing economy are also playing a role in sending common courtesy out the window. On the other hand today at Costco offered to take my cart back for me after I packed my car. So yay Wisconsin.

I’m about 100 pages into The Soul Thief. I like the book so far. It helps to know a little about Buffalo.

Tonight I could go to the library and work for a while or I could just read upstairs. Maybe I’ll get out for a while. Tomorrow and Friday will be busy. Oh, I’ve kept the workout streak alive, much to my surprise. I like having the elliptical option at home combined with visits to the Y.

At least the sun is out today. No one promised easy days.

No comments: