Saturday, January 31, 2009

I’m drinking a Saturday night Heineken. M is about to go out with her friends. The boys are watching some special on horses. I almost had to change the channel because for a moment there I thought they were going to show the horses getting it on. Do you know mares (that’s a female horse, right?) have to wear “breeding boots”? I have no idea why.

Today was another pretty good day. Last night I had a hard time sleeping, not sure why, so I read some David Bowker and crashed on the futon. This morning N woke me near 6:30. I drank coffee, showered, and read on the couch until M, N, and S left for the pool. S checked out NFL highlights on the computer while I read a little more. S was frustrated at basketball because his team sucked for the second week in a row but he managed to survive nonetheless. On the way home we talked about the possibility of having fun without winning but S would have none of it. He said a tie, however, would be acceptable. After lunch I finished The Soul Thief (review up tomorrow, I hope) then went for a run. The temps were over thirty, and the sun bright, so I thought I’d check my speed on pavement versus the treadmill. The verdict: I suck on pavement. Ok, I have a slight excuse in the slick surfaces and persistent snowbanks, but I still sucked. Maybe I need a day off. I ran maybe thirty minutes and walked the hills. Nothing too impressive. At least I wasn’t cold. Later I took a bath, read some Jung and Bowker, then settled in for the night. I’m starting to feel that desire to do something substantial. Maybe I’ll work on poetry. Happy Saturday night. January is almost over. Good night.

No comments: