Tuesday, March 11, 2008

What the hell am I still doing up? I woke at 3AM this morning and I’m still up past 9PM. Oh well. I’m on my third beer, chasing two Heinekens with a Corona. Coronas taste strange in the early spring. I’m not sure about drinking the brand outside of summer. The poor marketing bastards who shill Corona in the winter. Now that’s a tough job. No wonder I got a case cheap at Costco.

Today was a long day. I arrived at work fairly early, around 8, but I didn’t get much early paperwork finished. A slew of student and floor issues emerged that needed immediately attention. Plus I stayed home on Monday and needed to catch up on U gossip. At 10AM I scuttled into the arts building for a photo shoot. That’s right, ladies and gentlemen, RA will potentially show up in the U’s marketing campaigns. Of course, I dress like shit, and I can hardly comb my hair, so perhaps my image will remain on a hard drive in public relations rather than a billboard in downtown Milwaukee. The photographer woman had me pose like a goddamn Sears catalog model. At one point I had to sort of cross my legs and put my hand on my hip. If that image sees the light of day I’m in serious fucking trouble. She also took close-ups and kept saying “big smile.” I felt like Wednesday Adams forcing my facial muscles into an artificial grin. I tried to think of funny things but the best I could do was how asinine I looked at the moment. That worked.

After a quick lunch (cheese sandwich on a decent baguette) I attended a meeting on the revision of our math methods course. The floor felt tense; apparently a few different entities have been on a tear, pacing up and down the halls, so I retreated to my office and closed the door. Later I found out a couple of my clinical sites ran into problems but I handled both scenarios without too much difficulty. This is my business. I’m not afraid of things breaking down. I can handle the pressure.

I rushed home at 3:45 to cover for M while T hit his drum lesson. A few student issues around the clinical problem trickled into my box. On the drive home I had already started composing an email to the group so I had my words framed and ready for the reply. After a quick conversation with Tina about her new gig and a quick ravioli dinner I collapsed on the couch with the boys. We watched some Anthony Bourdain. That episode where he returns to his NY restaurant for a double shift is awesome. Well done.

Off to bed soon, maybe with the mp3 player. I need some sleep.

No comments: