Saturday, March 08, 2008

Saturday morning, before 6AM, I’m on the couch with S as he watching “Sportscenter.” S is in first grade, smart, and mildly obsessed with sports. A couple days ago he ran in the door after school and said, “Can I get on the computer and check the free agency updates?” That’s my boy.

I’m not sure why I didn’t add to the journal this week. In fact, I’m surprised to see I haven’t written since Monday. My nights ended early this week; I don’t think I reached 10PM once despite my desire to see “Juno” at 9:40PM.

So what happened this week? Let me think. Monday I stayed home and graded papers. Tuesday was a long day, 7AM until 6PM at work, but I felt like I taught as well as I had in a long time. I mean, I felt like I was “on”. After fifteen years teaching I don’t get that feeling very much. Administrative crap usually precludes energizing teaching. Now that some of the administrative crap is off my plate, and I can rest occasionally before I teach, I find that I teach with an energy I haven’t felt in years. Wednesday I took off save for email and paperwork. Thursday morning I taught, Thursday after we had seminar (guest speaker from career services), Thursday night the M and the boys watched that toy store movie with Dustin Hoffman and Natalie Portman. Yesterday I worked all day, paperwork and meetings, but I didn’t mind, as the floor was calm and I could play the Mountain Goats in my office without fear of disturbing anyone. After work I hit Kohl’s for some new clothes. The U wants me in some new marketing materials so I had to buy clothes that fit the specifications, e.g. “bright, bold colors.” I don’t wear “bright, bold, colors” so I had to buy some. I snagged a couple cheap sweatshirts, too, and considered a Hawaiian shirt but decided against it. Maybe next time.

I finished “Kitchen Confidential”, which I enjoyed immensely, and started “Sputnik Sweetheart.” More later. T needs computer help.

No comments: