Monday, March 24, 2008

I’m in the breakfast room of a Galena, Illinois Country Inn and Suites, near 11PM, and I should write quickly so I get some sleep. Tonight I’m crashing on the floor of a suite so T and S could have one bed and M and N could have the other. Rock and roll! The suite is cool, though. When you have three kids, go with the suite, whatever the cost. Or two rooms. I guess two rooms would work.

This morning we drove from Wisconsin to Galena. The kids were fine in the car. They’ve never seen mountains so they were fascinated by some of the western Illinois hills. Imagine when they see the Rockies, eh? Although they had to pee way too often we still reached the hotel by four. T wanted to watch television. For some reason he thinks watching tv in hotel rooms is cool. Whatever works. After some quick tv we hit a local restaurant for some decent pizza. N was slightly wired, but it’s hard to complain when he’s been in the car all day, and S, on whom I can usually count, blew water through his straw onto the table twice. However, that was the worst of the restaurant behavior, and we hardly ever go to restaurants, so I can’t complain. Later we hit the hotel pool. Everyone had fun. T and S rode down the waterslide together about 100 times. N played on the pool stairs.

Galena is an interesting town. I can’t imagine how desolate the town must feel through full-on winter, but some beautiful houses remain and the main drag is pretty cool.

Ok, Dubuque tomorrow…need some sleep. Good night.

2 comments:

hundeschlitten said...

It sounds like it's going to be a fun trip.

I've been to Galena in the late spring and summer, and the place is a madhouse on the weekends. I remember thinking, "This place would probably be nice on a weekday without all the people."

randomanthony said...

Yeah, it's still slightly difficult to park even on a March Tuesday. We saw places where you had to pay to park yesterday. I suppose that's for summer. We also saw tons and tons of rooming houses and bed and breakfasts...I have no idea how these places stay open. There's really not much to do besides shop.