Sunday, March 30, 2008

I was falling asleep on the couch, watching another Bergman film, when a second wind took hold and now I can’t fall asleep. A beer is in order. Hold on.

Ok, back. Thank you, Rolling Rock, on the nights when the hour is too late for melatonin.

Today was a good day, although for some reason I’m clenching my jaw and pissing about work. What’s wrong with me? This morning I woke early, about four, but I can’t complain because I fell asleep last night with Greek history by 8:30PM. You can’t take my Saturday nights, people. Don’t even try. I played on the computer until the boys woke at five. After some discussion we decided they could watch tv and eat breakfast while I went back to sleep and their mother slept later. Of course that lasted all of fifteen minutes until S and N started beating the shit out of each other on the couch. Lovely. I was pissed. They lost computer for the day. Oh well. They’re on the computer too much. Just like me. Later, by the way, M and I checked out the street level google maps of our neighborhood. While going around the block we discovered you can clearly see our next door neighbor drinking in his backyard. Very cool. I read the paper while M hit Kohl’s clearance sale. Later M took the boys to church while I cleaned and listened to Stars’ “Set Yourself on Fire.” When the boys arrived home the skies had cleared and the neighbors were out in the back field. I stood with the boys and the neighbors and pitched while the boys practiced their hitting until they got bored and I went back to the neighbor huddle. Later I snuck inside but grew restless watching television. N, a child after my own heart, wanted to stay inside as well but after a while I kicked him out since I knew he would have fun once he realized all the kids were playing together. D called soon after. We talked for a solid forty-five minutes and decided, amongst other things, that we all should have dancers like that guy in Happy Mondays follow us around wherever we go.

I snuck out of the house, filled one of the Saturn’s leaky tires up with air (the motherfucker in front of me took ten years to fill his up…don’t mind me in line, psycho air tire guy) and drove down to my office. Within two hours I had completed more work than in the past week. Maybe I’m back in the groove. The building was deserted and I missed, slightly, the years when I would work just about every Sunday. After leaving work I stopped at half-priced books and bought the boys another Atlas. I realized that the kids Atlases suck, and my boys are too advanced for them, so I picked them up a detailed road atlas for a couple of bucks with a 50% off deal. After a brief and necessary Taco Bell stop I drove home. The boys and I watched some Zoey 101 and I crashed on the floor between their beds and talked them to sleep.

Ok, I’m done with text for the night. More tomorrow.

No comments: