Sunday, March 09, 2008

Awake before 2:00AM, I’m cognizant that many people, you know, just stay up all the from 8:00PM to 2:00AM then go to sleep instead of sleeping for six hours and waking in the middle of the night. But not I. I seriously need to drink some diet coke or something at about 7:00PM so I can see what life is like past the wild border between single and double PM digits. I someday aspire to that adventure.

Yesterday was an ok day. T, S and I left the house before seven. Port appeared windswept; the wind pushed fine snow granules back and forth across the streets like sugar crystals on a kitchen counter. The red neon coffee shop sign was lit no one sat at any tables we could see from the car. After pulling money from the ATM we stopped at the donut shop, picked up six St. Patrick’s Day themed donuts, and returned home. M and I watched the first forty-five minutes of “The Darjeeling Express.” A friend of S’s later visited so T and I the coffee shop. We needed to get out in part because he gets bored quickly and in part because I had ragged on him earlier in the morning because he f—ked up the computer. We had fun at the coffee shop. He sat near the fireplace and read the last “Harry Potter” book. The cute emo girl brought us Italian sodas. I framed T in my mind, the way he sits in the huge wicker chair and concentrates, and took a mental picture. He’s a beautiful kid with a good heart. I need to save the image of him reading in the coffee shop. I tried to keep that moment alive for as long as I could. The sun streamed through the tinted windows and I saw a woman unhook her Irish setter from the railing (she had left him on the ramp while she procured coffee). Both the woman and the dog looked so happy to see each other again. What a beautiful late morning.

Later I worked out for 30 minutes to “The Office” and made cookies while M slept off a hangover. I also finished “The Darjeeling Limited.” Eh. You do get to see Natalie Portman’s ass in the short film included on the disc but I was unimpressed. Later I read “Sputnik Sweetheart” and wrestled with T after I farted on him. He wanted to punch me in the balls, a retaliation I feel too harsh for a mere fart, so I had to immobilize him and threaten another fart attack before he stopped.

The daylight savings time moment just passed. The cable box clock jumped from 1:59AM to 3:00AM in a single tick. Back in Chicago I often worked the overnight radio shift on daylight savings time night. Since the event took place later in the spring then Easter was often near. I would play Gregorian chants and put away my records. Working the radio station in the middle of the night carried with it both a pleasant fatigue and a deserted creepiness. I often locked the door. Good night.

No comments: