Sunday, March 09, 2008

I’m discovering I have more creative energy lately. I have two poems forming in my mind. The first is about the lady with the dog I saw outside the coffee shop window yesterday. I think the thrust of the poem revolves around the weightless, unencumbered happiness evident in the eyes of both the dog and the woman. The second poem revolves around reading in the coatroom at work. Words are coalescing in my mind. I’ve been so tired for so many years. Grad school and administration wrecked my creative end. Years pass too quickly. I may be set now. Even if I were to take another job, I think I could now separate my work/home scenarios and reserve some strength to write.

This morning, after finishing today’s earlier journal entry, I watched the last hour of “Blade Runner.” Goddamn brilliant movie. Ridley Scott was leaps and bounds ahead of his time. Go watch that goddamn movie again. Get the new print. You won’t be disappointed. Dawn approached but I decided to catch some sleep. S woke at 5:30 (new time). I wanted him to sleep a little longer so he and I crashed, but he was still awake, so I asked him football questions until he asked to go downstairs for “Sportscenter.” I managed a couple hours of sleep until Cleo’s meows tore me from sleep. The door was still open. My fault.

After a quick shower and a huge huevo ranchero breakfast we hit church. I locked myself in the coatroom again and read “Sputnik Sweetheart” instead of sitting in on the service. The online schedule said the minister would be speaking about some controversy surrounding the UU General Assembly, and I just didn’t care, so I found a comfortable coatroom chair and spent a quiet hour with Murakami. Hell, reading is just about the same as church to me anyway.

M’s friend B and her daughters visited in the afternoon. I answered email upstairs until I grew hungry for lunch. The boys and girls played next door, in the boys’ room, so I moved downstairs, ate, and watched the last hour of “Beowulf.” Now, the first thirty minutes of the film disappointed me (why is the screen so dark?) but the last workmanlike hour did its job. The movie is definitely not for kids, definitely not, with Angelina Jolie’s cartoon boobs poking out your eyes. Did they show up bigger on the 3-D screen? I’m curious. After Beowulf and the girls’ departure the boys continued to play upstairs. I threw in “The Office” DVD set and knocked out thirty minutes on the elliptical. Afterwards I took a bath without books. Since I had eaten so badly earlier in the day I thought I’d have an orange for dinner, but I felt an intense hunger and ate fake chicken nuggets and quesadillas instead. The boys and I watched some of the Bulls/Pistons before coming upstairs to read. Yes, I know I “viewed” a lot this weekend, but that’s ok. Everyone needs a weekend like that now and then. More later. Good night.

No comments: