Saturday, March 22, 2008

Elementary School Family Dinner

The hands, the hands, the ubiquitous hands
Pawing at brownies and salad
Bright talk and admonishments
Children in overbright hallways

Heavy coats strewn on long tables
I fold and sweat
Slightly rude then
Disappear into the Principal’s office
Lights down
Still to the Knocks and calls.



Ok, onto the regularly scheduled journal entry.

Last night I fell asleep early, reading West, on the couch. I love sleeping on the couch.

This morning M took the boys outside for what will certainly be one of their last days in the snow. Yesterday’s blizzard is already melting away. The path-grass and sidewalks are clear and dark grey with runoff. While everyone was outside I watched Bergman’s “Winter Light.” Now, I had never seen any of Bergman’s films before, but E mentioned “Winter Light” as an influence in a recent interview and I was intrigued enough to check it out. I was not disappointed. The film is almost entirely black, grey, and white, like a Joy Division album cover, and the exploration of doubt and God is most challenging. It’s not often a film makes you think, you know?

After the film T and I hit the library. He wanted more Time Warp Trio books. I thought I might have time to read some West but T was in and out of the stacks too quickly. After we returned home I cleaned the refrigerator. All these little tasks for which I never had time are getting done this break. Remember, last year I hardly moved from the dining room table, my face buried in my laptop ten hours a day as I shaped the last of my dissertation. I remember one stretch in particular, at the kitchen island, on a grey, dead weekend. I’m glad that fucker is finished.

Later I worked out to the Duke/West Virginia game (I hate Duke). S and T got into the game too, as I’ve trained them to hate Duke as well, and we were all thrilled when WV pulled off the upset. I took a bath and read some West before making potato/vegetable/cheese burritos for dinner. M said they were good but I would rate them only ok. The Costco vegetables brought down the quality. I’ll get better vegetables next time. New Order’s “Power, Corruption, and Lies” is playing on the stereo while T reads, M writes recommendation letters, S plays upstairs, and N wanders the house aimlessly. I might start drinking soon. Although I’m tired tonight is the only night of the next four or so for a beer.

Ok, the Hopper/Homer show was excellent. I’m a huge Hopper fan, have been for years, and I’m currently sitting in a dining room surrounded by twelve different Hopper prints. To stand in front of so many of his masterworks in the space of an afternoon is a religious experience. I’m not engaging in hyperbole. The experience is religious, transformational in the best and highest sense of the word. I especially loved seeing “House at Dusk” in person. The painting is one of my favorite Hopper pieces, definitely in the top five, and I stood in front of it and took in its heightened colors. Here’s the painting.

http://etext.virginia.edu/railton/enam312/gallerys/amart12a.html

The Homer exhibit was strong as well. The continuity between the two artists was strong, esp. in the manner both handled light.

I don’t feel as if I’m doing a very good job at describing the show. Words don’t work well when portraying art shows, esp. when they’re coming from my lack of artistic experience. Go see the show.

2 comments:

hundeschlitten said...

I like the poem Tony... Who better to convey the mix of claustrophobia and dread that one can feel at these kinds of events?

I will add "Winter Light" to my list of things to see, and you've almost got me thinking about going to the Hopper/Homer exhibit, which is saying something, as I put going to an art exhibit somewhere below modern dance and above the Broadway musical in terms of cultural activities that I generally try to avoid.

randomanthony said...

Thanks, man. I'll tell you about the poetry collection plans soon. I've got an outline, but I don't want to rush it.

You know, I'm tempted to check out some ballet. Where does that fit? I'm afraid I'd get bored in the first ten minutes.

The Hopper exhibit was awesome. I do think you'd like it.