Saturday, March 01, 2008

Welcome to the first day of March. The sun is shining, the Mountain Goats’ “Heretic Pride” is playing, and T’s running around the house preparing for a sleepover at his best friend’s house. M and the two oldest boys are leaving for a tubing gathering at 3. N and I will probably take it easy at home. I thought of taking him out of the house but he seems pretty happy, so I don’t see a reason to go anywhere. He and his brothers have played all morning, so I don’t mind him watching television or playing video games on his own for an hour or so. When we’re alone in the house he doesn’t have to compete with his brothers for game or channel choices.

This morning the alarm went off at 3:30AM. I have no idea who set it. Anyway, I woke, watched the first 30 minutes of “Blade Runner” and drank a diet coke before returning to bed. The boys woke me with their Wii noise around eight. I cleaned the house and wrote a couple letters before M and T returned from hoops. After gathering together a couple of packages I hit downtown Port. The ATM car-line was long due to people actually wanting to speak with the drive-thru bank tellers. Who goes to a bank teller anymore? Learn how to use the machine, people. Luckily the post office takes debit cards. The last second Saturday post office rush wasn’t bad (I was fifth in line) but a lot of people were on the street. Wisconsin is thawing and everyone wants out of the house.

When I returned home I worked out to an episode of “The Office” (the one where Ed Truck dies) and made scrambled egg pitas for lunch. After that I read yesterday’s NY Times and WS Journal, including a fascinating article in the latter about successful Finnish schools. Maybe I’ll see if I can snag the article online and use it in my classes. Oh, I’ve also played music most of the day, Kaki King, Los Campesinos, Chopin, and the aforementioned Mountain Goats.

More later…I’m feeling ok today.

2 comments:

hundeschlitten said...

I know this is a trivial note, but about a year ago my bank opened up a branch in my office building downtown, and I've kind of enjoyed sitting down with one of the officers (all of whom are young and female, btw) to handle relatively simple tasks. I mean, if I'm just looking for a quick $100, sure I'll use the cash machine, but for anything more complicated than that, I'm doing my part to keep our service-based economy fully employed.

randomanthony said...

While I applaud and understand your desire to keep the more attractive bank employees busy, I can't condone people driving up to the drive thru window when the goddamn ATM is RIGHT NEXT TO THE OTHER DRIVE THRU. I suppose it's possible people had more complex banking tasks on a Saturday morning, but I doubt it. I also detest people who pay by check at the supermarket. That inefficiency should not be rewarded and is an unfortunate byproduct in Wisconsin living.

Why do the officers handle your tasks? Is "officer" a complicated way to say "teller"?