Saturday, September 20, 2008

Man, did a week pass without a journal entry? How did that happen? Let us count the ways. Ok, Monday through Wednesday evening either T or S had football practice or a game. What about Thursday? I can’t remember Thursday. I think I arrived home later than usual. Last night I watched movies (Belle De Jour and Persopolis, both excellent). So there you go.

I guess this week has been fine. Working at home has been less working and more hanging out at home. I’m trying to learn to pace myself so I don’t collapse on my work at home days. Fifteen years of hell on wheels teaching has worn me down. I’m not slacking on purpose. In fact slacking on purpose would probably do me well. Last night, when I watched those films (primarily because I wanted to get them in the mail before my netflix allotment expired) I felt decadent but happy to crash on the couch with my eyes on the screen. Maybe I need to crash on the couch more often.

So what happened this week worth noting?

• I finished both “Bridge of Sighs” and “Downtown Owl”.
• T played well in his first football game of the year.
• My weight was down as much as thirty pounds from my Memorial Day weight. The “number” is flying all over the place, I think because I’m consistently lifting weights every forty-eight hours, but it’s settling about, oh, 27 pounds down from the MD number. I’m also up to 75 bicycle crunches a day. I also knocked out an hour of cardio every day this week except yesterday.
• N’s doing ok in school, only a few minor incidents. At least I think they’re minor.
• My classes are fine. I think one of my colleagues is taking a couple of my introductory classes in the spring. That would be a huge help…after last year’s 39 credit barrage and this semester’s overload I’m worn out.
• M and the boys have participated big-time in the big Possibility Playground build. Apparently the boys painted today.
• M wants to visit Florida in the spring. I asked her where she wants to visit with her mom, and she said “Cocoa Beach”. I looked up Cocoa Beach and apparently riptides are common in the area. The boys will not be going in the ocean, thank you very much. No, of course, they can’t fucking go somewhere sane. Whatever.
• I’ve meditated some and despite the previous bullet point I’m feeling pretty good.
• Tonight is beautiful. Shadow and I sat under the gazebo on the back porch, a couple candles burning, and watched the bats flutter towards the back field. I can see the ferns swaying in the breeze outside my window.
• I cut the back grass today for the first time in about a month. Why do people cut their grass so often? I thought the grass looked good enough long.
• I’m thinking of brewing beer for the first time since we lived in Roscoe Village. I don’t think I did followed directions correctly back then and I was much more impatient. See what a grown-up I am now?
• More later. Good night.

No comments: