Sunday, September 28, 2008

I’m in the newly placed rocking chair, in the corner near the doorway between the kitchen and the (now) living room, wondering if this chair is properly placed. Honestly, I think I like the other set up better, but T wanted to move around the furniture and I can live with this setup.

So what did I do today? Well, apparently S spent the night projectile vomiting. I missed the projectile vomit extravaganza because Shadow and I slept on the front porch. M looked like shit this morning, like she hardly slept, but she said I should drive down to Chicago for Milo’s christening and I sure as hell wasn’t planning on missing it. I skipped running to let my legs recover a bit and jumped in the car near 8AM for the ride south. Light traffic rendered the ride pretty easy, which is fortunate, as the Saturn overheats at the first sign of a stoplight. I arrived at the church just after ten, when Melissa said I should arrive, and I was the first one present. Churches are cool when empty, like Emerson said, so I settled into a rocking chair and surveyed my surroundings. The sanctuary was smaller than expected (James said 125 people fit on the main floor with more in the balcony) with a high vaulted ceiling. Darker spots along the arch’s curves evidenced water damage. Anne’s husband (Mike?) confirmed that the roof sucks and the church is hitting up parishioners for donations to fix the problem. Old churches are budget nightmares but they’re worth the trouble, in my eyes, anyway. Other than the usual stained glass the church included a curious clipper ship above a doorway. James said it had something to do with the Swedes and spiritual journeys. Good cover, sir. Anyway, we settled into our pews and the ceremony began. Sean sat next to me. I was glad he showed up. After a fairly long sermon (Lutheran services are longer than expected, a little more than 90 minutes, all told) Anne, Becky and I stood up for the godparent ceremony. Yes, a Jew, a Lutheran, and a Unitarian Universalist. Sounds like a joke, eh? Anyway, Anne and Becky BAWLED right as the ceremony started. What the hell? I was not ready for the tear deluge. I don’t think the priest was, either, but he got started with the ceremony and I held up the bulletin so we could read our lines per instructions as Lutherans For A Day. The ceremony itself was beautiful. I thoroughly enjoyed myself. Later Milo cried some so James took him in the back and seat on the rocking chair in the lobby. James, you probably didn’t realize this, but we could see you back there and you seemed totally peaceful with Milo. That’s what it’s about, my friend.

Three things about today’s ceremony:

1. They had a baseball team’s worth of clergy up on the altar. I needed a lineup card.
2. A couple cute girls in black with the priestly collar sat to our right. They kept glancing in our direction. Now, I know they were glancing in our direction due to the christening, but I tried to tell Sean they were looking at him and he should hit on one later. To his credit he responded by saying, “I could be saved both during the day and at night.” Well played, sir.
3. I love the candle smell. The candle smell never gets old.

After the ceremony I couldn’t get a hold of M. I wanted to hit the lunch but I couldn’t leave M alone at home. James, if you’re reading this, don’t think I was blowing you off. I was worried the entire house was sick. We’re going to come down to see you soon. I also forgot to give you Milo’s presents. Shit. I’ll get them in the mail tomorrow. Anyway, I hauled ass north and, except for a quick Best Buy stop (video games are always good with sick kids…I remember when S broke his hip he played gameboy in the hospital two days running), I reached home without incident. S had rallied some but I could tell M was tired. I set her up on the television with Veronica Mars, got the boys started on the latest DS game, and snuck out for a quick run/walk. My legs felt stronger but I’m always a wuss during afternoon runs. When I returned home we ate a quick dinner. The boys played on the front porch with their action figures while I lifted weights. I suppose days like today separate those who see benefits from working out and those who don’t. Even so, I don’t think I want to run outside forever. An elliptical/running mix would work.

James and Melissa, I’m sorry I missed the lunch. More later.

1 comment:

hundeschlitten said...

Hey Tony, no apologies necessary. It was great that you could be part of the ceremony. We just felt bad that you had to get in your car and drive all the way back after such a short stay.

I was also quite moved by the ceremony, the day, etc. We are blessed with great friends.

And the image of Sean eyeing the young seminary students in their collars and unisex black outfits is pretty hilarious.