Tuesday, September 09, 2008

I’m sitting in the dark watching the Brew game (1-0, we’re winning). The sleeping bag is spread all over the floor. M is on the computer in the office. The boys are either asleep or on their way to sleep. But I can hear one moving. I wonder which kid is up. S says he gets lonely when T falls asleep before him. I get that.

Why am I so tired? Perhaps the weather is a factor. I don’t know, but I’m exhausted. Today I slept a little later, worked out (I have to work out on Tuesdays or I’ll bounce off the walls), and hit the office about 8:45AM. Oh, N was in trouble because he was whining before school about wanting more to eat right before we were leaving for school. What a horrible way to start the day. I felt like shit on the drive to work. I pretended to teach (yay DVDs) through lunch, chatted with whomever wandered into my office, then set up the students with a librarian for both the 1PM and 4PM performances. Even though I worked out apparently the caffeine or inactivity left my body wired. I drove home, ate (fake burger in a hot dog bun), and tried to relax on the front porch. Tomorrow I’m working at home. Over the past few years “working at home” meant hitting the library or coffee shop because M, N, or both would be in the house. Now that M is working at N is an official kindergarten student I’ll have the house to myself all day. Will I have the energy to work efficiently? Time will tell. I’m tempted to check out the Brew game with Sab pitching but I’m too cheap and I’d rather watch on television. Maybe I’ll curl up in my favorite library chair and knock out the back end of “Bridge of Sighs”. I’m looking forward to the solitude. But I should probably work as well.

A few bullet points:

• M is watching “Veronica Mars” while she works out. I knew she’d like it.
• I’ve been listening to Stars lately. This afternoon I re-downloaded “Can You Trust Your Friends” since my first copy wasn’t working beyond the first three songs.
• If the Brewers collapse I’m going to be pissed.
• The boys beat me in the first week of the football pool. They finished at twelve, I finished at 13 (of 18).
• “Bridge of Sighs” is turning out well. Russo is underrated. He’s the kind of guy who will probably end up on syllabi 100 years from now.
• I’m staying steady at 25 pounds down from Memorial Day. My lifting, I hope, is keeping my weight from falling too much. I wouldn’t mind losing more weight, in terms of numbers, but I’m not willing to stop lifting just to shift the scale. The bicycle crunches are coming easier, too. Cold weather leaves me hungry. Still, I think I’ve worked out about ten days in a row, not a bad stretch early in the semester. Perhaps the “summer to school year” transition is complete.
• Both T and S are up. I’m trying to get them to talk each other to sleep like my older and brother did thirty years ago.
• More later. Good night.

No comments: