Thursday, September 11, 2008

I’m on the front porch, listening to the train pass, listening to the crickets, who seem to be competing with the train for neighborhood aural dominance. Tonight T had his first football practice. I read on the side of the field until the moon, clouds, and breeze rendered reading a waste of a beautiful evening. Exhaustion might arrive out of nowhere, I suppose, but at the moment I don’t feel like sleeping.

What did I do today? N woke me at 6 or so. I worked out for thirty minutes (Sportscenter) and arrived at work by 8:15AM. Both classes (assessment and seminar) went well. In between I ate Jimmy John’s for lunch (1000 calories for the wheat 13! Too many!) and amused myself by printing out pictures of ball-jointed dolls with the caption “buy me, Preston!” for my friend Preston downstairs. I’m easily amused. Later I rushed home and scarfed some Pad Thai (I’m hungry constantly lately, between the stress, weightlifting, and cooler weather) before the boys’ listening conferences. All three were fine, although I don’t think S’s teacher (a former student of mine) has a handle on his reading yet. He’ll figure it out. T and I left the conferences and immediately hit his football practice. T is a decent player but I’m not sure he’s aggressive enough for football. We’ll see. Later I watched some of the Brew game (loss), some harrowing 9/11 footage, and I read a bit further into “Bridge of Sighs”. I should finish this weekend.

More later. Beautiful night. I wish I could have a beer. Maybe I will, although I want to work out in the morning or else I’ll bounce off the walls at work. Will one beer hurt?

No comments: