Sunday, September 14, 2008

I’m on the couch, a little after 4PM, the Jets/Patriots game on television. My first two weeks in the football pool are not turning out exceptionally. Or, simply put, I suck.

Today has been a good, rainy Sunday. I want autumn to arrive wholesale. Let’s start with yesterday. I drove the slick roads west to the farmers market. About 50% of the farmers skipped the market. I can’t blame them because buyers were sparse as well. Still, the cheese and pepper people showed, so I picked up everything I needed and carefully drove home. What did I do in the afternoon? Oh, I watched a cool documentary called “The Gleaners and I”. Some legendary French filmmaker woman made the film. You could tell she was excited with the new technology and she turned the documentary about people foraging for food into an interesting meditation on the manner in which we glean ideas and images from each other. What did I do later? I made cheese enchiladas. The boys and I played football in the back field. I tried to read at the library but a student teacher found me in my hidden chair. Oh well. Later I hit the upstairs bedroom, cranked the air conditioning (the humidity was sticky and heavy), and read the last ninety pages of “Bridge of Sighs”. I thought about staying up later but crashed near ten, sleeping until 7:30AM. I guess the fatigue caught up with me. This morning I checked email, etc. before showering quickly and driving over to church for the first time in a while. The “two services” experiment is going well. I was cheered that the parking lot wasn’t packed and we found seats without difficulty. Of course, then the bullshit Sunday services planners fuck up and start the service with twenty minutes of bullshit announcements. Then no one knows who is supposed to be where downstairs and N starts to melt down since no one knows what’s up. Great. We moved him into T’s room, where M was teaching, and I cut out. Why bother going upstairs when only twenty minutes remain in the service? I drove over to my office and knocked out a productive ninety minutes. I cleaned my shelves, repotted some plants, ditched an overgrown plant (hell, it practically became a tree, I threw it in the woods behind the building), answered some email, gathered materials for tomorrow’s “work at home” session, and organized the last of Tuesday’s prep. After the office visit I feel less under the gun. Borders sent me a five buck gift certificate so I stopped at the bookstore on the way home. I saw a couple interesting books but bookstore visits become more scouting trips for what might be available in the library before I decide to buy anything. The latest M Robinson and a book on randomness (no pun intended) caught my eye. When I arrived home I checked online and reserved both from the library. M and the boys were at the latest Star Wars film so I worked out to football (Indy/Minneapolis), showered, and ate lunch.

Maybe I’ll work out again later. M is at Coscto. The boys are upstairs. I hope the rain remains for a few days. I have a poem about magnets and skeletons made of metal running through my head. We’ll see. Good afternoon.

No comments: