Friday, June 13, 2008

Wait a second. I just realized today is Friday the 13th. I saw no mention of the phenomenon in the media. Hm. Maybe I didn’t pay close enough attention.

Well, after another long, stormy night today turned out to be a good day. T and I drove around town to survey the damage this morning. The water in the harbor appears brown and seems high and choppy. Of course N’s “safety town” field trip to the water was scheduled for today. That scared the shit out of me. He needs swimming lessons. After checking out the harbor T and I tried to cut down Sunset to Citgo for newspapers but couldn’t pass under the railroad bridge due to high water. This fascinated T. We got out of the car and walked up to the barriers. After we swung around a side route he wanted to see the view from the other side. I guess this is his first experience with flooding.

After we returned home M left for her post-lasik checkup. N was at the aforementioned “safety town” class. S was across the street, playing with A, and T explored Civilization on the computer. I caught up on the annual report. D from across the street called and asked us to pick up J along with N. No problem. T and I hit the elementary school gym and gathered up the kids and drove back to the block. Later, after M arrived, I took advantage of the break in the weather and cut the grass. The yard looks so much better with freshly cut grass. I also sprayed anti-weed chemicals between the sidewalk cracks and filled three bird feeders. CNN reported Tim Russert’s death. Man, he was only 58! My ass could go from a heart attack at that age too, if not earlier. Mr. Russert’s death brought on a distress effort that went nowhere. I tried to sit on the back deck and drink a Tecate while M and the boys were at the pool but I didn’t feel particularly relaxed. I called Chicago D. We talked about school until the kids, fresh from the pool, piled into the backyard. I took a bath with “Boomsday” and watched the first few innings of the Brewers game (you suck, Dave Bush!) while the boys played next door. When Bush’s sucky pitching led to a five run deficit I turned off the television, turned on the full spectrum light, and read another hour or so. “Boomsday” is ok. I’m thinking of re-reading “The Illiad” next but I lent my commentary to K and she never fucking gave it back. Shit. Oh well. Maybe I could find a used copy. M’s friends called her from the bar but she doesn’t sound that into going out tonight. Maybe I’ll sit on the back deck. More tomorrow. Good night. And sorry you’re dead, Mr. Russert. Rest in peace.

No comments: