Thursday, June 12, 2008

Rain pouring down again. I’m sitting on the front porch, behind windows blurry with rain (interesting, that doesn’t happen often, but the wind must be blowing from the north), the ceiling fan spinning fast. M says she read this was almost the rainiest June in history and we’ve not reached the halfway point. Maybe it’s true. We have had a shitload of rain lately.

What have I done this week? Hm. I’ve driven into work three days in a row, Monday through Wednesday, and stayed through most of the day all three days. What did I do? Answer email, work on syllabi, start the annual report (in the wrong format, thank you very much), attended a long meeting, God knows what else. Tomorrow I might drive in except M has an eye appointment at eleven and I wouldn’t bother driving into the office unless I wake very early. We’ll see.

What did I do at night? Hm again. I hung out with the boys while the other boys played baseball. We hit N’s Monday night game together. I sat in the lawn chair and buried my nose in American Nerd. I also finally got around to watching Lars and the Real Girl, which I liked very much, and caught a bit of a few Brewers’ games.

So three days and I don’t quite know what I did. I feel a paucity of productivity. My sinuses are bonkers, too. Allergies have never been a problem. Can I develop allergy problems at thirty-eight? I have no idea.

Books…I finished the awesome American Nerd: The Story of My People earlier in the week. Highly recommended. I’m reading Chris Buckley’s Boomsday now. Quick read, pretty funny, but nothing spectacular so far. I’m not sure what I’ll read next. Yesterday I tried to scout books at Borders but a goddamn Chihuahua went bonkers on me when I cut through the magazine aisle. The Chihuahua’s companion seemed unsurprised by the encounter. The woman sat on the floor and informed the dog I was trying to look at the comics. What the hell?

More later. Boys should get to sleep soon. Wish these allergies would go away.

2 comments:

hundeschlitten said...

Yes, I really liked Lars and the Real Girl. I'm not sure that the folks in small town Wisconsin are that open and kind, but I like to think they are.

And I bet you are allergic to MOLD.... with all that rain and moisture, you probably have a lot of it, and I know that's something that drives my sinuses crazy (in Chicago, it's the worst in the August humidity).

randomanthony said...

You might be right. I heard the tree/pollen count is way up though, too. I don't know. It might come from my car, which is all gross inside from rain through the broken window.