Saturday, November 10, 2007

Ok, I have some time, early in the evening, in the November stretch when the sun falls before 5PM and I’m bouncing off the walls with nothing to do. In turn, I thought I’d move away from the journal for a bit and knock out a ten bullet post. Here we go:

I’m reading M. John Harrison’s “Nova Swing.” I like the book. I’d hate to see him pigeonholed as a science fiction writer (reminds me of Gaiman in that way). This book is larger, more thematically interesting, than you would expect from traditional science fiction. The whole “event site” concept is working for me.

Vic Chesnutt is a genius. I listen to “The Salesmen and Bernadette” a lot at home, and I would argue that “About to Choke” is probably an even better record.

Guilty pleasure: Vanessa Carlton’s “Heroes and Thieves."

Last week I watched part of “An Evening With Kevin Smith.” Did I mention that already? Anyway, Mr. Smith is good in the open stage format, most of the time, but the college students on the Q and As are embarrassing. I snagged “Clerks” from the library. Maybe I’ll watch it later. I also have “The Squid and the Whale”.

“30 Rock” is my favorite television show. The party scenes in this week’s episode were priceless.

I’ve written decent drafts of four or five poems. Maybe I’ll post one next week.

I was probably too hard on T today about some brother conflicts. Sometimes I hear my dad’s voice in mine. I suppose that’s inevitable. I’m a lot different than him, I know.

November is usually a very difficult month. I can’t complain this year. Everything’s fine. I haven’t had that “just get me through the day so I can go to sleep” feeling I know so well.

Church has bored me lately. I don’t want to ditch the congregation, but I’m not getting much out of attendance. Something is in the air in the sanctuary, some controversy. I can smell it.

I’ve hung out at home a lot on weekends due to gas prices, environmentalism, and anti-workaholic sentiment. Still, I wouldn’t mind the office tonight. Quiet and dark.

No comments: