Saturday, November 10, 2007

My mother just left, and I feel like committing either suicide or homicide. Take your pick.

A sample afternoon exchange:

Mom: I got botox this week, and I didn’t get it to get rid of wrinkles.
RA: I don’t want to know. I don’t want to know. I don’t want to know.
Mom: Someday you’re going to have medical procedures, too.

I feel like burning down the house to get rid of the stink and gross feeling of my mom’s presence. A shower won’t do it. That woman drives me fucking insane. Anyway, I’m working doubly-hard to make sure I don’t let her presence in my life, as small as it is, infect my existence, but it’s hard. Deep breaths…meditation…etc. Anyway, if I ever needed reminding as to why I cut them off, days like today serve their purpose. What a sullen, useless existence they lead.

Ok, enough on that. I may go see “Control” this afternoon. The movie is only showing at one small theater in Milwaukee, but I really want to see the movie after reading the review, including James’ review over at Asshole of the Century. Check it out:

http://aholeofthecentury.blogspot.com/2007/10/control.html

M, I think, knows I need to get out of the house, and I hardly leave, anyway, so she’s cool with it. Sometimes I think she’s trying to make sure I don’t just hang around my immediate family all the time. Compared to most dads, it seems, I’m around a lot. This is esp. true, I think, during hunting season in Wisconsin. If I wanted to get out of the house more I would pretend I was a hunter (er, a stretch, one must admit, for a vegetarian) so I could ditch four days a week from Labor Day to Christmas. When do those fuckers work? Anyway, I might check out “Control” today. If not, I’ll get out of the house in some way, shape or form. Maybe I’ll hit the coffee shop with “Nova Swing.”

This week was fine, but I’m ready for Thanksgiving and the end of the semester. I stayed home from work Thursday morning due to a Wednesday night sinus insomnia bout. I wrote an article about leading through crisis while I was up, at least. The dean scheduled a DVD taping session (some commercial/promotional thing) for 2PM, and I felt badly for missing the gig, so I drove into work for thirty minutes of lights in my face and lapel microphones. Yesterday I hit a couple of meetings, worked in the office, and arrived home pretty early. M and I watched the Thursday night shows (Office, Scrubs, 30 Rock…30 Rock was the best by far) and I fell asleep early. This morning I skipped running (probably a mistake). N and I set up some new houseplants. I’m tempted to take the larger greenhouse from the basement and put it in the dining room. Hm. I could really use another smaller one. Still, I’m feeling good about how little money I’ve spent lately, so I’ll keep that roll going until Christmas. More soon.

2 comments:

hundeschlitten said...

Hey Tony,
I spit vitaminwater all over my bathrobe as I read your railing on your mom's "stink and gross feeling". Wow! That family spite of yours can still catch me by surprise, even when I'm expecting it. And I know you don't want to think about it, but why else would someone get botox? Does it serve some legitimate medical function?

And thanks for the promo of sorts for my blog. Despite its shortcomings, I really like "Control" and think about it alot.

randomanthony said...

Vitamin water?

I think the botox can prevent headaches.