Monday, November 12, 2007

Late, almost 10:30PM, I should go to sleep soon. I might sleep on the couch because I know the kids will wake me before seven. I need to hit work by eight. I’m driving some students to a clinical site in the University van. Rock and roll.

Today was almost a painfully good day. I guess the day didn’t start particularly well. T woke me at about 6:30, wanting to play Wii, and I rose a bit later. Still, I slept for a solid ten hours (thanks, melatonin!) and felt rested, even if the hour was too late for a pre-work run. I arrived at the office by 8 or so, cleaned off my email, sent out a bunch of mail, arranged a Franciscan reading group, and planned for the rest of the week. At eleven my freshmen presented some posters/papers/powerpoints they created on historical leaders. Man, the freshmen did a great job. It was one of the moments when I felt like I actually knew what I was doing, as a teacher, and I haven’t had many of those this semester. I mean, my teaching has been fine, I guess, but I’ve been largely out of the classroom the last few years, and I’m teaching way too many credit hours for solid prep, so I’ve felt slightly off my game. My game is returning, I’m happy to say. At lunch I ran U errands, picking up the van keys and dropping off some steno, before teaching my early afternoon class. They were slightly more tired, but I expect that after lunch, so I couldn’t complain. I worked in the office for an hour or so and left by 4:00PM. On the way home I picked up a couple more houseplants. The cooler weather always motivates my desire for extra house/work greenery. When I arrived home T had a friend over. We played football for a while in the yard before jogging downtown and back. I suck at after-work running, but the air was perfect, the sky grey, and I got in a good rhythm. When I returned I caught a quick shower and ate dinner. M and I have been into quality olive oil and wheat bread since I returned from Italy. Heaven. The boys went off for their second “quiet time” night, which was somewhat of a disaster, but as we’re working the concept slowly into the family, I can expect some confusion. After quiet time T, S and I chatted on the couch while M and N read upstairs. We joined them a while later, when N asked me to talk him to sleep. I have a great time with him right before bed. We chat in the dark until he tells me to be quiet because he’s tired. Then I ask him more questions. It’s fun. After the boys were asleep M and I watched “Chuck”. I read “Nova Swing” after she went upstairs. Here I am. Great day. I almost can’t handle days like today. I want them to last forever. Good night.

No comments: