Wednesday, November 21, 2007

I’m in the rocking chair this morning, corner of the dining room, rocking to the humidifier. I’d turn on some music but M wants to do her stairmaster thing in a minute and she’ll want to watch tv. I don’t mind. The boys are upstairs, cleaning the “Wii” room so they can test out the new Stars Wars Lego game they received for earning good report cards. I’m feeling ok, despite a slight sinus threat.

Man, I forgot about the importance of Thanksgiving break. I have said, over and over again, that Thanksgiving is my favorite holiday, but I forgot about its place in the rhythm of the academic semester. I arrived at work early Monday morning and dove into paperwork. I walked out of my office at about 8:30 and the staff, secretaries, etc. were in the hallway talking Thanksgiving. I went back into my office and emerged about thirty minutes later. Everyone was still talking. The week takes on a calm, mellow feel. Yesterday I bought into the feeling. I taught pretty well, I think, although I had to rag at my afternoon class (via email) about attendance. Between classes I wrote up my shopping list, trash talked in the football pool, found videos of people crashing into each other for M (she esp. liked one in which a ref accidentally took a football to the nuts), checked out the black Friday ads, and otherwise avoided gainful employment. I got the hell out of the building by four or so because T had drum lessons. Man, I was exhausted, and I’m still tired. It’s that ‘If I have to do any serious intellectual work in the next forty-eight hours I might collapse” type of feeling. I hope none of my students have much on their plates for the weekend. I don’t know how they could handle it. The office is open today, and I thought about cleaning the office, grading a bit, etc., but I think I’ll skip the drive (snow coming) and maybe finish that article on which I’ve been working and read some “Jane Eyre.”

Last night was decent, by the way. M and the boys were watching a Harry Potter film (the fourth? I can’t keep track), so I cut over to the library to pick up a reserved copy of “Jane Eyre.” The copy was pink and tiny. I’m not sure a less manly book has ever been printed. I decided the text (not the book, if you know what I mean) was unreadable, so I returned the book and drove south. Costco was open, and we needed diet coke, so I swung through the superstore and grabbed a few things. Rain, winter rain, the kind that isolates you no matter who you’re with, poured down. I jumped a couple exits and hit Borders. In light of an upcoming property tax bill, I’ve been trying to avoid spending too much cash, but I had a 25% coupon, so I thought I’d pick up a cheap copy of the Bronte book. I found a clean print for eight bucks and hit the register. Two cute college girls, both new at their jobs and teaming up at the register, fawned over me for buying “Jane Eyre.” I swear, single men, if you want to strike up conversations with smart girls, carry a copy of “Jane Eyre” with you. It’s like magic. Anyway, the coupon wasn’t valid until tomorrow, but whatever, I bought the book. When I arrived home N and I chatted for a while (he recommends Chinese food for Thanksgiving), I read the first couple pages of the book, and I fell asleep.

We had T and S’s parent/teacher conferences this week, by the way. They were interesting. I never thought I’d have to advocate for talented and gifted services, but I guess I have to do so. S is off the charts, and T seems pretty high as well. T’s teacher can handle everything pretty well, but S’s is brand new. She’s still figuring out the landscape. More on that as everything develops.

I’m really looking forward to the next couple of days. I need a break. More later.

No comments: