Friday, November 07, 2008

Very early Friday morning, around 3:30AM, in a Wisconsin Dells waterpark hotel room. I’m worn out. I’m past my third week of an hour of cardio a day, plus weightlifting and crunches. Do I need a day off? I haven’t watched a movie in forever.

Where to start? Ok, let’s get the election over quickly. I was up by four and in line at the polls by 6:15AM. An elderly woman with long grey hair was first in line; I was second. We didn’t talk much. I forgot the travel book so I fished Rollins from my car. I read and listened to NPR while the line grew. By the time the doors opened about 150 people were waiting to vote. After some initial confusion as to which ward I belonged I voted (black marker in Wisconsin, not the touch screen) and got on the road to work.

Later that night I stayed up to watch the returns. Since the election was over, really, by eleven (do you still bother voting in Hawaii if you know the election is over?) I didn’t have to remain up all night. I watched Obama’s speech from my elliptical; Grant Park looked great. Well done, hometown. I was proud to be both an American and a Chicagoan.

The rest of the week has been fine but busy. Shadow hurt her shoulder, too, and I’ve been worried about her. She can hardly put pressure on her front right leg. We carry her out to the yard and back and help her up on the couch.

Yesterday I taught in the morning (thought the class went well) then tried to get on the road to the Dells by noon but couldn’t get out of the office until closer to one. A huge, end of the world rainstorm descended on I-94 just west of Madison. I almost pulled over; the Saturn slid all over the road. But the storm ended within twenty minutes, right when the highway bends north, and I checked into the hotel near four. I briefly visited the end of the day meetings, worked out, and, as I was ravenous, ordered an Uno’s deep dish pizza. The outlet mall across the street was open, so I bought a shirt at the Gap for four bucks before picking up the pizza. I stopped at the gas station for a newspaper and, after much thought, decided not to buy beer. It was a tough call, as I was in the mood. Then I inhaled the entire pizza upon my return to the room. I felt guilty of the calories, but goddamn, I was hungry. I really need to read more about this health thing; I’ve reached the point where I’m pushing myself too hard and I’m not sure I’m using my energy well. Maybe I should refine my techniques. Anyway, I was so drained that I could tell, immediately, that no work would get done tonight. I read Vowell and collapsed into bed, then switched beds because of hallways noise. Did I mention that the resort upgraded me to a suite? Why not give the suite to some family with kids? I don’t need three beds and two bathrooms.

I’ve been listening to Sigur Ros’ “()” a lot.

That’s it for now. Good morning. Consider yourself updated.

No comments: