Saturday, October 04, 2008

I’m watching the Brewers playoff game as I write. The Brew are up 2-0 in an elimination game. I’m kind of wired…probably too much diet coke today. A special on Assisi starts in fifteen minutes. I stumbled on the listing while cruising through the channels looking for something to watch before the game started. I guess I’m in sort of a wired, bad mood tonight…not sure why. I think I’ve been inside too much. Maybe I’ll hit Borders later.

The last few days have been fine. Well, Thursday night work issues emerged but instead of returning home and eating seven quesadillas I decided to go for my second run of the day. Although the run both relaxed and energized me my right knee began to throb by the third mile. I decided to skip the run Friday morning and drove into work instead. After leading an excellent meeting I decided to blow off an afternoon meeting and head home to clean. I stopped at Costco and picked up some food (falafel!) and a new humidifier. I lifted, cleaned (kitchen was a disaster), and waited for the new elliptical to arrived. The delivery showed just early enough for us to make the high school homecoming parade. There isn’t much to see, just high school kids walking in the middle of the street, but the boys had fun anyway. After we returned home M took S and N to the homecoming carnival while T played next door. I took the empty house opportunity to watch the first half of “Iron Man”. S, after arriving home, asked to hit the football game. We drove over for the first half. I’ll write more about the homecoming game tomorrow…I’ve discovered there are certain types you see at every high school football game, and I need to get my thoughts on paper. Anyway, I fell asleep on the couch while reading Azerad’s chapter on Husker Du. I haven’t been able to get into new books lately. I’m in a rut.

This morning I woke, tried to run, and decided within a quarter mile that running on a bad knee would be a bad decision. The cold weather didn’t help. When I returned home I started building the new elliptical but decided I needed new tools in order to do a good job. Tools are a regular point of contention between M and myself. I have shitty tools while my neighbors have the fucking Home Depot in their garage. M also buys the cheapest tools available. As we have a little more cash lately I drove to the hardware store and dropped 100 bucks on different types of wrenches and a red toolbox. I want to be able to find all my tools without a forty minute search. Anyway, I put together the first half of the elliptical but, because I promised the boys I would play football with them at N’s soccer practice, I left everything set up in the dining room and drove over to the Y. A few of the soccer coaches didn’t show. The kids were all waiting in long lines to kick. N kicked once, got bored, and started playing soccer with his brothers at another goal. I was fine with that decision. After practice I finished building the elliptical with minimal difficulty. M thinks I can’t build anything, but I did ok with this project. So far. After some falafel and the rest of Iron Man (good not great) I tested out the new machine. I had to pause the machine twice to tighten a couple bolts but otherwise the workout went well. My right knee hurt, even with the reduced pressure of the elliptical, but I survived and I was glad for the exercise. What did I do for the rest of the afternoon? I’m not sure. I suppose I sat around and acted bitchy. Oh well. Maybe I’ll get out of the house later.

No comments: