Tuesday, July 15, 2008

I thought I’d write a bit before class. The last two weeks have been quite busy, busier than I ever wanted, but the breakneck stretch should end Friday. Between teaching, meetings, doctors appointments and baseball games I don’t feel as if I’ve had time to breathe. Why don’t we sum up the last couple weeks in ten bullet points:

We had a good time at the Ren Faire but I was ready to leave after three hours. The joust was fun, the weather was perfect, but eventually you’re reduced to wandering in circles looking at the same shows/performers over and over again. I wouldn’t have minded checking out some of the shops but browing opportunities are limited with the kids.

Speaking of kids, Asshole of the Century wrote a decent essay on his first week freakout with his newborn baby. Check it out.

http://aholeofthecentury.blogspot.com/2008/07/my-first-week-as-dad.html

I’ve been listening to The Hold Steady’s latest, “Stay Positive” in the car. The disc is growing on me but I still don’t think it’s as good as “Boys and Girls in America”.

I’ve neglected the garden due to the breakneck schedule. I need to weed, etc. but most everything is growing without much help on my part. That’s the way it should be, I guess.

The boys and I haven’t played D and D in a solid week. Maybe we’ll pick up the adventure again Saturday.

I’ve worked out on the elliptical thirty days in a row. I’ll need to work out tonight to keep the streak alive. Maybe I’ll watch the all-star game after T’s game and knock out a twenty minute session. At lunch, when I’m working, I try to walk the university path three times in about forty minutes.

M and the boys leave for NY in…let me see…about two and a half weeks. I’m working for another two and a half weeks then taking two weeks off. Can’t wait. I need a break.

N and I walked around the neighborhood last night. He was bored with the home run derby. We had fun racing from block to block. He’s a good kid.

I’m reading Bryson’s “Lost Continent” and Pynchon’s “Crying of Lot 49” concurrently. I may hold off with the Pynchon until this rough stretch is memory. Pynchon seems to require more attention than I can give now, although I’m enjoying the book, no doubt.

Summer is at least halfway over. In case you didn’t notice. More later.

No comments: