Sunday, August 30, 2009

I just downed half a tablet of melatonin. How long will I be awake? I took the drug early so I’ll wake with little in my system so I can work out without feeling spacey. And I want to get to sleep early to maintain my rhythm. Yesterday I slept through afternoon sickness and fatigue then stayed awake until 1AM. At least I A) watched the excellent Adventureland and 2) hung out with the dogs while drinking and listening to Vic Chesnutt’s “About to Choke”.

This week sucked. Usually the first week of work is pretty easy, nothing too intense, all the classes are planned and few fires to address. This semester I hit the ground running and didn’t stop until Friday evening. I was ill from Tuesday on and had to rush home a few days (including tomorrow) to avoid paying teenagers to “babysit”, which apparently in this day and age means sitting on the couch and texting while the boys watch tv. Then on Saturday morning T’s completely fucked up football organization botched his scrimmage’s location and led me (and a slew of other parents) on an unexpected tour of the Belgium/Cedar Grove area while searching for the contest. Then, despite wearing four shirts, I froze my ass off in the sub-fifty temps (remind me in a couple months, by the way, that I considered sub-fifty temps very cold) while reading a book on Cooperstown and the Hall of Fame. When T (who played well in the scrimmage, esp. on defense) and I returned home I went into internal mode and, frankly, didn’t want anyone to interact with me for about twelve hours. I read then slept upstairs until N woke me near five. Then I hung out with the boys until they fell asleep. M and I watched the movie, I drank and listened to music, then crashed until seven or so. Today was better. I cleaned the house (always a sign of improving health) before lifting weights. Oh, I also took this week off of lifting after reading that you’re supposed to let your muscles recover with a week off every four months. I haven’t take time away from weights in over a year. But today I was back on schedule and felt pretty good, I guess. Later I read from Kafka on the Shore, watched Suppan beat the Pirates (revenge after we saw the Pirates kick his ass silly at PNC) and played baggo with T and S.

What else happened this week? I finished For Whom The Bell Tolls. Did I mention that already? I should write a review, eh? And I taught a lot. And I worked out some, too, although I alternated fairly healthy food (e.g. wild rice, yay Trader Joe’s) with ice cream. The dogs aren’t barking at the elliptical, at least. Paul and I went out Thursday night, Starbucks and Half-priced books. I miss his presence on campus. The temps will reach the low forties tonight. Could I be more random?

The boys start school on Tuesday. They’re ready. Have a lovely end of August.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I'm sorry you weren't feeling well, RA.
Sally was under the weather, too. I had something bothering me a week ago that gave me sore muscles in my neck and shoulders, and absolutely no energy. It must be going around.
Non-computer viruses can't travel through the internets, can they?

random anthony said...

Oh, thanks, Jacks. We've got to keep an eye on Sally, though...she's got a ton going on...:)