Sunday, August 23, 2009

First blog entry in a while…my apologies. Tomorrow is the first day of the semester. In turn, today is all about keeping this calm and quiet and mentally preparing for the semester. I suppose much of what I do on days like today is symbolic but I find the rituals valuable nonetheless. I get all my clothes, lunch, etc. ready so I don’t get rushy or pissed off in the morning. I drink a ceremonial beer after dinner. I eschew caffeine after lunch. I am starting my seventeenth year as a licensed teacher, two masters degrees, one doctorate, and the profession still feels new.

This week wasn’t bad. Highlights/bullet points:

• Last night S’s much-delayed birthday party took place at the nearby laser tag facility. The kids were great. N in particular held his own with the big kids. He kicks laser-tag ass. The last two rounds were outside since the sun was well below the horizon and the lasers work in the dark. Watching these light-vested children spaz out in the dark was a blast.
• I hiked just below seven miles of the Zilmer trail in less than two hours Wednesday. See pics below. Great hike. I also had fun driving past pristine, postcard-worthy Wisconsin farms when I cut across backroads into the Kettle Moraine. Sometimes it’s easy to take local beauty for granted.
• This morning T and I cleaned out the car and hit Costco for the latest version of Madden football. T essentially bought it was S. He’s a great brother.
• I’m down to the last ninety pages of so of For Whom The Bell Tolls. The Hemingway experience has been revelatory; I underestimated his work based on a few minor encounters years back. Not sure what I’ll read next.
• The puppies are doing well. T, S and I took them to the seven acre dog park in Grafton earlier in the week and holy bejesus are M and P fast once they get out in the open. I also let the two sleep on the front porch with me Friday night because P hates the crate. They tried to sleep on my head, more or less, but otherwise were fine. M just stole a turkey sandwich from the dining room table. Good boy!
• As I speak I can see one of the neighbors moving. See ya. I guess I’ll miss the dad and sometimes the kids but the mom…
• I ran into another workout wall Friday. While on the modified stairmaster (I don’t know what else to call that machine) I felt chest pains and knocked off with fifteen minutes left after a forty-five minute start. I’ve read too many articles about triathalon (sp?) athletes dying while training this summer to push myself that far. On the plus side M barks like crazy at the home elliptical but at least doesn’t attack my ankles or try to bite the machine.
• Should I stay home the rest of the day? Maybe. Not sure.
• Happy semester start. More later.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

The laser tag and the walk sound wonderful, RA. And so do Mack and Peter - fast puppies, yay!

But don't train yourself to death, please! I think you should have your doctor look you over, check your cholesterol levels, just to make sure you're okay.

random anthony said...

Thanks, jacks...have fun camping, by the way...:)

M. Heatherington said...

Good luck w/ the new semester, Anthony.

Anonymous said...

In my opinion you commit an error. Let's discuss. Write to me in PM.