Sunday, August 09, 2009

Already August 9th. I’ve lost touch with the month’s days. The boys are watching “Home Alone 3” in the next room. I didn’t know “Home Alone 3” existed. Mack Truck is sleeping next to T on the couch. M is out back, reading under the gazebo in the rain while Peterbuilt Truck sleeps on the small couch nearby. Rain’s been falling since, oh, near four. Before that the temps hovered above ninety. Today is the type of day that reminds me why I don’t live further south. Fuck it, give me Wisconsin February over this shit any day.

So yesterday we picked up the puppies. They’re doing well. My God, they’re definitely brothers...they wrestle back and forth across the house and chase N when he laughs and runs away. Their foster mom kicked ass; she pretty much housetrained them, taught them how to sit, etc. We’re trying not to fuck up what she taught them. Let me backtrack. Yesterday morning we drove over to the doggie daycare place where an adoption open house took place. We were early so we waited a few minutes, checking out all the dogs and cats, before Sheila arrived with the new boys. We recognized them from their pictures as she led them across the parking lot. Some of the teenagers, kids who must help out at these events, also recognized the new boys from previous visits and said they had grown quite a bit. T, S, and N walked the dogs around the building a couple times while M completed all the adoption paperwork. We left, the dogs in their new travel carrier, and headed home. Mack and Peterbuilt seemed to adjust quickly. The backyard is sealed off, even underneath the deck, so I feel better about their hanging outside with the boys. We baby-gated the front stairs, too. About half a million neighbors/friends stopped by to see the dogs. We probably didn’t need the stimulation. You know I can’t handle too many people once. Add the high temps and new dog excitement and I was ready to either punch someone or crawl into the closet. Later at night I tried to watch the Brew game/ICarly movie with T but more neighbors visited. Go away go away go away! Finally I gave up and collapsed on the front porch. In the middle of the night I had to pee but didn’t want to wake the puppies so I opened the front door and peed on the bushes. Don’t worry, I kept an eye out for passing cars.

This morning I hit the Y at 8 and did a complete weights circuit, legs included, along with 30 minutes on the elliptical. I guess Ross stopped by at 8:30. We had loosely talked about hitting the coffee shop but, dude, call first. After I showered my mom arrived from Illinois. She wasn’t as annoying as usual. Another ringing endorsement, eh? We sat on the deck and talked and drank iced tea. The high temps left me in a bitchy mood but I more or less controlled my heat-induced wrath during the visit. Yay me. I hate a messy house when the weather is out of control, and the dogs’ arrival left the space a mess, so I cleaned before watching the Brew game’s first couple innings. Later Ross blew me off at the coffee shop, texting me at the last minute to say he wasn’t coming. I didn’t mind. I read Hemingway in the pristine air conditioning and drank iced tea in the good chairs before bailing to see if N wanted an early ride home from the pool. I couldn’t find anyone through the fence so I drove home and played with the new boys until everyone arrived home. T has been psycho hyper since the dogs arrived, and I’ve leaned on him a couple times, so I tried to hang out with him before sending him and his brothers upstairs to play. Later I read Hemingway upstairs. The rain is slowing down. M is about to take Mack and Peterbuilt for a walk. I’m looking forward to office-time. Need to meditate. Good night.

1 comment:

M. Heatherington said...

Good stuff.