Saturday, September 29, 2007

T is off at a “dance” at the local YMCA. Now, I don’t know how much dancing one does when in third grade, but the dance was open to third, fourth, and/or fifth graders, and he thrives on that sort of social activity, so I hope he’s having a good time. He has my cell phone. I dropped his friend Ethan and him. The cell phone has been put to good use, as he’s called me twice to let me know he’s having a good time. However, I called him about thirty minutes ago and he didn’t answer. Come to think of it, I’m not sure I taught him how to answer the phone. Oh well. He’s due home in about fifteen minutes.

Today did not start off well. I usually take T and S to the farmer’s market the next town over on Saturday mornings. M wanted to come along, so we all climbed into the van for the twenty minute drive west. Five people is probably too many for a walk through a farmer’s market, esp. when N is whiny and S is angry. I was glad to arrive home, but I was pissed off. The boys had lost computer, wii, and television, so they played with their Heroscape guys until I took them over to a baseball field for some hitting practice. We had fun. Afterwards T and N climbed through a playground while S honed his tetherball skills. S had to leave for a birthday party not long after lunch. T and I caught the new movie starring “The Rock” as a quarterback. I honestly don’t know what the movie was called. Anyway, The Rock has lost a lot of weight. He looks good. The movie was tolerable, and I had a good time just hanging out with T, esp. since the morning had been rough. After dinner (spinach ravioli) I cruised the net for midi software before I thought of calling Jed down the block for advice. Turns out he has the program I need, and I can snag a copy for free. Good man. I’m going to hit the rocker and read for a while before bed. A couple of bullet points:

I’m reading “A Madman Dreams of Turing Machines”, by Janna Levin. The book is a fictional account of the lives of Kurt Godel and Alan Turing, both somewhat insane mathematicians. The author is a mathematician herself, I believe, and I enjoy her precise, careful style. James, you would like this one.

http://www.amazon.com/Madman-Dreams-Turing-Machines/dp/1400032407/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1/102-3424530-4240138?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1191117729&sr=8-1

I think I’m finally ok to run again. Tomorrow morning I’m hitting the pavement. I worked up a playlist for the occasion.

T just called. He’s on his way home.

A week from now I’ll be on a plane to Zurich. Good night.

No comments: