Sunday, September 02, 2007

M and the boys are off at Unitarian Univeralist picnic. I should clean, but I’ve already cleaned quite a bit, so I thought I’d take a break and write before the afternoon grew too busy. We’re throwing the ceremonial end of summer bonfire tonight, too, so I may be occupied with other endeavors late into the evening. I’m downloading The Chills greatest hits as we speak. The blog from which I snagged the disc is an absolute treasure trove of noise to which I listened back when spinning at WZRD in the 80s and early 90s. Coil’s “Gold is the Metal”? I’m so there. Here’s a link:

http://brixtonspage.blogspot.com/

Yesterday was fine. I decided against running, as my knees needed a break, so I spent the morning on the deck or watching television with the boys. Oh, T, S, and I went to Costco as well. We bought a case of sprite and a watermelon the size of a small engine from a European car. Later M took the boys out to get new shoes. N and I played in the backyard and looked at animal webcams on the internet. Here’s his favorite site to check out animals:

http://www.sandiegozoo.org/videos/index.html

Here’s another good set of animal cam links:

http://nationalzoo.si.edu/Animals/WebCams/?nzps=navbar

After M arrived home Rick and I hit El Ray for Mexican food. We didn’t talk much on the way, which felt a bit awkward, I guess, but his stepdad just died so I think he had a lot on his mind. I can’t help but feel as if I’m a potential criminal target when I get out of the car on Chavez and I’m the only white guy for blocks. The food is worth the fear. Yesterday I went with a vegetarian torta. Heaven. Actually, a touristy-looking couple and a few run down Caucasians showed up after a while. I picked a table with my back to the wall.

Later I felt like going for a drive, but I’m trying to save cash, so I decided against a bookstore visit. Instead I read from “Consider the Lobster”. The essay on grammar and usage is both fascinating and hilarious. I fell asleep pretty early, by ten or so, on the front porch. This morning I woke before six, ran downtown, and returned home. I had planned on hitting work today but…nah. More later. September is here.

No comments: