Wednesday, September 26, 2007

Ok, I’m back. I’m writing on my new Dell laptop. At the risk of sounding like a commercial, Dell’s customer service is stunning. After I unboxed the computer (a reconstituted, er, used Inspiron 1501 laptop) everything worked except for the battery charge. Nothing was charging. I could use the computer as long as the device was plugged into an outlet, but as soon as I unplugged it, everything shut off. I conferred with a couple of computer expert guys I know, and they said I should call Dell. (Sidebar: I apologize to the those people with computer expertise on behalf of people like me bugging you with dumbass questions you can’t answer or could answer when you were eleven.) I first checked with Dell through the online chat computer support system, which worked fine until the guy asked me to unplug the computer and everything shut down. Before the conversation ended, though, I noticed the little needle on the power cord, where the power cord connects with the computer, was bent. Within two minutes the phone rang. A Dell lady (she sounded Indian, yay outsourcing) told me she would send me a new power source within sixteen hours. Sure enough, this morning a new power cord arrived this morning, and everything works fine. Yay Dell.

I’m home sick today, by the way. I’ve been working like crazy, trying to get everything prepared for the Italy trip, and I finally collapsed. I guess all this started on Saturday. Of course, on Friday night I drank nine beers and collapsed. My immune system weakened, and I’ve been sick since. I didn’t do much on my birthday, and I fell asleep by about seven. I sleepwalked through work both Monday and Tuesday. My Tuesday classes were particularly lame. I need to rethink my approach to some of the undergraduate courses. Oh well, I suppose this is progress. I don’t crash and burn very often in the classroom, and some humility will do me well.

Anyway, my energy is fading quickly, even as I just sit here and type. More later. Good to be back.

No comments: