Tuesday, September 04, 2007

About 9:30PM, not really tired, although I feel as if I should sleep soon. Work-related issues are running through my mind, and I’m grinding my teeth, although I suppose there’s nothing so pressing that staying until 5PM or so for a couple days in a row won’t clear the air and my desk. I can’t imagine what life would be like if I were still chairing both departments. I’ll answer a few emails tonight and hit work by nine or so tomorrow morning. I should be good to go. The Brewers are winning (5-3) and I have “Sean on The Dead” on tape, so maybe I’ll stay up a little later tonight, even though last night I didn’t sleep well. I had tried sleeping on the boys’ floor, in the air conditioning, but woke after a while and moved to the front porch. S followed me down a couple hours later, stating he had a “hairy monster nightmare”, and proceeded to kick me in the balls as he writhed in his sleep.

Still, today was decent. I failed to run before work, so I was a bit tight, and I wanted to drop off the boys at school, so I skipped basketball. The boys ran off to the playground as soon as I slowed the car down enough for them to jump for it. Apparently they had a good first day of school, although T can be hard to read on such issues. We’ll see. I arrived at work by 8:45AM and guided my students to a library session by nine. A few were late/absent, and I will kick their asses sideways if they start to fuck up. Ah, the joys of teaching freshmen and transfer students. Anyway, a colleague from the English department died last night. One of the librarians gave me the scoop. I won’t go into detail here (legal reasons), but I will say I was struck by how easily we all processed the news and got on with the day. Sure, the guy wasn’t in our building, and none of us knew him at all, but still, beyond a few cursory “life is short” comments, we returned to our conversations about the weekend and whatever I record time. My friend Paul from the English department will probably have a different perspective. We should talk soon. The University priest led a powerful prayer at the start of a painfully awkward and boring convocation ceremony about how “you know never the hour when God will call you, etc.” I cut out of convocation early. The ceremony was awful, I was dressed formally, and the gym temperatures were close to 100. Remember, also, I hadn’t run. I cut out, stopped at Pick and Save for tea and recyclable bags, then drove home. I ran for a couple miles, nothing too serious, careful of some pain in my left knee. T, S and I played hoops in back before I showered and ate dinner. The boys watched some of “Spaceballs” before an early bedtime. Ok, a couple bullet points before I watch the end of the Brewers game.

This has been the worst mosquito year in memory. Goddamn, those suckers are everywhere.

I’m about 2/3rds through David Foster Wallace’s “Consider the Lobster.” I’m reading the essay on traveling with McCain’s campaign now. Wow, these essays are great. They’re probably a bit too erudite for reading on the plane, but I’m enjoying the book as much as anything I’ve read in a long time. I laughed out loud, practically slapping my knee, a few times today.

The temps in Wisconsin are supposed to hit the upper eighties tomorrow. I can’t think of more offensive weather than late summer during which what should be the start of fall. The football season starts in two days, for Christ’s sake. I’m sleeping in the air conditioning tonight.

I love trustworthy Amazon “used” sellers. I picked up a used Derogotis book today for $4.50, with shipping, that would retail for close to fifteen at Borders even with a coupon.

More later…good night.

1 comment:

goodbye nashville said...

hi thanks for leaving a comment about the eels . your right they are underated . am interested in your writing , about caribou be greatful if you could introduce them to me thanks . colin