Wednesday, August 22, 2007

The rain has fallen nearly continually since Saturday. This afternoon we had a few hours of sun but in the late afternoons the clouds returned and an absolute motherfucker of a storm descended on southeastern Wisconsin. M tells me the beds upstairs are soaked because I failed to close the skylights. Oh well. I like the air. Today’s rain is fresh, while the rain earlier in the week left me feeling as if every surface in the house was covered with a slick sheen of water.

M is off at a Unitarian Universalist children’s committee meeting. The boys are watching television. They’ve been gone the last few days, up with friends in Door County, and I can tell they’re tired. I doubt they’ll have a hard time falling asleep, even if their beds are covered in rain. I suppose I could drag them into interacting with me, but I don’t want to force the issue.

Today was ok. I played basketball this morning, a little better than usual, despite last night’s weight lifting session (lifting weights tends to throw off one’s shot). I spent most of the morning airing out the house and cleaning in the family’s absence. After lunch I ran errands. I sent a CD overseas (I find it curious, by the way, that the people at the post office can’t seem to decide whether or not I have to fill out that green form every time I send a CD), returned library books, returned movies, and talked with Freda on the phone in the car. I also stopped at garden store for new houseplants (I need them for work) and a supermarket for office tea. I hung out at work for a couple hours, but I wasn’t especially productive. I finished preparing for one class next week, but my prep was half-assed at best. I then gossiped in another office with a couple colleagues until close to five. Mary and I were supposed to attend a new student orientation dinner, but the organizers did that evil thing where they assign everyone seats so people mingle or whatever, so I bailed and drove home. The storm was in full swing by the time I hit 43. Trees swayed along the highway like they were auditioning for a weather channel commercial. The skies were nickel grey. I swung off the highway earlier than usual, since traffic was kicking into gear, and took the back roads home. I was happy to see the family, and they seemed happy to see me.

A few bullets:

I saw “Superbad” a few nights ago. Very good. I think M should see the film. The script had an improvisational feel, and the kid from Arrested Development did a great job.

I’m working through Gibson’s “Spook Country.” I like the book, but I’m afraid I’m reading one of my favorite authors at a time when my concentration isn’t at its highest, and I may have to return to the book later.

I ran into the priest who is taking us to Italy at work today. We leave in something like seven weeks. I’m not remotely mentally prepared. Where do I get Italian money? There are people going on the trip with me who already HAVE Italian money.

I mentioned tea above. Question…the organic tea or whatever I buy in bottles makes me feel good. However, the tea costs a buck fifty a bottle. Worth it?

More later. Good night.

No comments: