Tuesday, August 14, 2007

I feel as if my skin is completely covered in sweat, not because of the Mexican food I just ate, but because of the high humidity. How the hell do you people in the south survive all summer? This weekend we’re supposed to have high temperatures in the sixties. I can’t wait for football weather.

M and the boys are home. I picked them up from O’Hare on Saturday afternoon. When did O’Hare become such a hellhole? Anyway, the first few hours of return are always stressful. The fragile cleanliness of the house disappears in moments. The kids bounce off to see their friends. M and I adjust to each other’s presences. We’ve got the system down. I’m glad they’re home.

I returned to work Monday morning as well. You know, I’m starting my seventh year at my current organization, and my previous record for job stability is four years. Every day is a new experience in permanence. I feel like I know what I’m doing more often than not. I’ll know which form to use for what and whom to call when the copier does this or that. I like feeling like I know what I’m doing. Today I moved most of my crap into a new office. I cleaned out a ton, too, throwing away a lot of old paperwork and literacy books. My new office doesn’t have a window, but I requested the space because of 1) the location, away from the controversy corridor, 2) the fact I can close my door and no one can see inside, and 3) the solidification of my program as separate from the other programs in controversy corridor. I hope my colleague moves all her crap out of the office soon, so I can decorate and feel like the space is mine.

Last night Shadow and I walked downtown. If you live in a town like this one you owe yourself evening walks every now and then. Downtown shuts down early, except for the bars, and the local teenagers sit on the corner benches, bored. A friend told me she was going to have to put her dog down (I hate that phrase) soon, and I got to thinking Shadow and I won’t be able to walk together forever. I guess the walk was for old time’s sake. I love that dog.

A few bullets:

T wants a drum set. I’ve called a guy from Craiglist to find out if his is still for sale. The neighborhood should brace itself.

I’m getting more into the new William Gibson every day, but it’s hard to read with the heavy weather. Do people in the tropics read books, or do they sit in the air conditioning and watch television all day?

I listened to The Stars “In Our Bedroom After The War” a few times at work today. I like that disc. Yesterday I listened to Stars on The Lid’s “The Ballasted Orchestra”. That’s as good as ambient gets, in my eyes, anyway.

Did I mention I saw “I Think I Love My Wife?” Good movie, but don’t watch it with your spouse, or you’ll end up in the “would you ever cheat on me?” conversation. Good luck.

I like sitting on the porch and watching the birds on the bird feeder. I’m easy to please.

More later. Good night.

No comments: