Thursday, August 16, 2007

I’m on the office floor, mid-evening, although I’m more tired than one might expect. I’m not sure why. Anyway, at least the air is cooler, with overnight temps projected at below sixty degrees F, so I’m looking forward to sleeping.

This morning I skipped hoops and drove to work early after watching “My Boys” with M. I spent most of the day finishing cleaning out my old office and moving into my new office. I had way too much fun organizing my crap on my shelves and the like. I think I’m going to like the new space. The overhead lights will remain off, if I can help it, with two small, dimmed lamps and the computer screen providing all the illumination I need. A student with whom I was going to get tea cancelled, so I drove home early in the afternoon. T is gone all day, at a waterpark with a friend, so N and I played “guys” (action figures) until he grew bored. S has been asking to hit Bayshore’s Barnes and Noble, so we got in the car on a lark and droved south. Just as we pulled onto 43 my phone rang. The Craiglist drum guy called back. I might go see the set tomorrow, although he wants $275 for it, and both M and a guy on the eels message board said $200 was more reasonable. Here’s the set:

http://milwaukee.craigslist.org/msg/380530868.html

I suck at talking people down, so perhaps M can drive down and negotiate. T really wants a set, though, and if drums keep him out of trouble and become a serious interest, how can you lose?

S picked up a book on “birds of prey”. After we left we snagged subs and Potbelly’s, where the girl behind the counter first thought S was a girl and then asked me who the girl dinosaur was on Barney (Baby Bop, although I didn’t know, someone else had to supply the answer). I took a bath and read after arriving home. M and her friends were all out back, and I stopped over to say hi, but I wasn’t in the mood for mom socialization, and M kept cutting me off in the conversation, so I gave up and came inside.

Some bullets:

Stars’ “In Our Bedroom After The War” has grown on me. You have to give the band credit; they do the synth/New Order thing as seriously as anyone and don’t suck at all.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stars_(band)

I also don’t know much about Broken Social Scene, but apparently both Stars and Feist are connected to the band in some way, so I must check them out. Dan burnt me a disc, I believe.

I’ve been reading Jancee Dunn’s “But Enough About Me” over the last few days. I like it.

http://www.amazon.com/But-Enough-About-Me-Adventures/dp/0060843640/ref=pd_bbs_sr_2/002-8553311-0500848?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1187311700&sr=8-2

More later. Boys bouncing around.

1 comment:

hundeschlitten said...

I liked what I heard on the Stars myspace site. It looks like they're playing at the Vic on a Friday night in early November. If you want to come down for the show, I'm game.

There's a kid in his mid-20's at my office who's really into BSS. They're a huge collecitve, with over a dozen members, and how good they are depends a lot on who wrote the song, but at their best, I think they're very good. Here is a link to them playing at Lollapalooza, which I think is kind of cool, more for the scene and the crowd than anything, but still...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RDkEXUmR73E