Friday, June 04, 2010

This morning I woke in the Wii room near 6:30, rose, got ready, and dropped S and N off at school just past eight. Rain was falling and for some reason the carpool lane was bogged down in traffic so I kicked the boys out of the car at the bottom of the hill and sent them sprinting through the (fairly light) downpour into school. They survived. Then I drove down to the Milwaukee Public Museum for the Dead Sea Scrolls. Well, after finding good parking I was early so I had the rest of the museum pretty much to myself. The Milwaukee Public Museum sucks. Just to be clear, this isn’t the Milwaukee Art Museum, which I like quite a bit, this is the historical museum or whatever. The “Old Milwaukee” section is hilariously weird. It’s like a Disney animatronic ride except you have to walk and instead of singing pirates or children you have, like, a German lady cutting sausage. Let me image search. Here we go:

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3382/3587088133_885156a2e2.jpg

and

http://image.absoluteastronomy.com/images/encyclopediaimages/s/st/streets_of_old_milwaukee.jpg

I also walked through the section with taxidermied (is that a word?) animals and weird historical scenes with traders and Native Americans. What a sad museum.

The Dead Sea Scrolls exhibit was pretty cool, though, especially since I followed a group of retirees and was just before the school group tidal wave. At the start the exhibit was mostly about the scrolls’ discovery and some historical context, then a short movie on the excavation, and then a little more on the containers that held the scrolls and some facsimiles of larger scrolls. Then you go into a cool dark room with the tiny papyrus fragments and their origins and translations above each fragment. Hm. I can’t find a picture, you’re going to have to trust me. I stood in front of a 2,000 year old piece of Ecclesiastes. Very cool. I bought the museum catalog and drove home in the rain.

Later I met Barb and Amanda at a coffee shop in West Bend. We talked/gossip about the university, etc. for a couple hours before I returned home and made the pie pictured below.

N’s calling. More later…Piratefest this weekend…have a lovely Friday night.

3 comments:

M. Heatherington said...

That Dead Sea Scrolls exhibit sounds amazing.

And... Piratefest?

randomanthony said...

Thanks, Matty! You would have loved it...

randomanthony said...

Oh, both Piratefest and the Dead Sea Scrolls...but esp. the latter...