Saturday, April 17, 2010

Why good morning, blog readers. The clock reads 3:36AM, near the sleep point of no return, for me, anyway. And how are you? Sorry about the space between posts. That was unintended. I will make no excuses.

So how…what’s the word…explicit shall I be about the state of my mental health? Oh, fuck it, I’m going to be straightforward. What’s the worst that can happen? Ok, I’m on wellbutrin (sp?). I’ve been on wellbutrin for three weeks. Why don’t we bullet point the experience.

• My psychiatrist is a tiny, friendly woman who pays close attention and can’t sit still. I respect that.

• I’ve seen her twice so far. This last session was particularly fascinating. She said, “you have to remember that you’ve been chronically depressed since, from what I can tell, you were around ten years old. Everyone who knows you only knows you as chronically depressed.” Holy shit. I mean, does that mean for the last thirty years I’ve been someone slightly (or more than slightly) different than who I’m supposed to be? What the fuck am I supposed to do with that? I can’t quite get my head around the concept. I think she’s right, though. When I look back on pretty much my whole life, well, there’s this veil that’s always present between the rest of the world and me. I always thought that was normal, but perhaps I was wrong. All I could do was work with what I had, you know? And I’ve always, in the background, carried this sense of guilt, that I was doing something wrong, that I was broken. And, well, apparently I am/was broken, but some of the guilt is lifting. I hope I can make up lost time.

• I should differentiate between the psychologist and the psychiatrist. I have a crack medical team.

• So the psychiatrist warned me that 1) I would feel weird periods of elation, and 2) that I’m pretty much guaranteed to have, what did she call them, episodes of depression again. Yay? I experienced #1 in the parking lot of Pick and Save a couple weeks ago. That was interesting.

• I’m on 300mg of Wellbutrin now. I also have lunesta for when I can’t sleep. I try not to talk the sleeping pills every night. They taste horrible, but goddamn, as I said in a previous post, they’re good. I just don’t want to rely on them.

• I’m still exhausted at work…can barely work a full day without collapsing. When will that stop?

Ok, back to the normal blog. M says I should write a book, by the way, about this past year. That’s a decent idea.

And what else has been happening? Last week I was in Louisville for a conference. Louisville is a nice town, from what I could tell, anyway. I sat on the city hall square and took in the sun.

More later. I’m getting tired. Good night/morning.

4 comments:

M. Heatherington said...

I had to take Zoloft for a while after my breakdown in 4th grade. It caused my hands to shake, so I stopped after a while. I was never truly depressed, though. Just anxious. A stress-triggered breakdown, I suppose.

That veil doesn't have to be negative. Think of Walser: ...the inward self is the only self that exists...

Of course, you shouldn't model your life after Herr Robert... It's just something to think about.

My mother is a psychopharmacologist (psychiatrist + biochemist), so I'm quite familiar with all of this stuff. Imagine having to consult your own mother! Alas...

I hope you feel better, sir. Let the spring rejuvenate you. And soon, the warmth of the summer.

random anthony said...

Thanks, Matty. You know, I'm on my way up, I think...past the worst.

Did those Walser microscripts come out yet, by the way? Must check...hope you're doing well also.

M. Heatherington said...

No, not yet. I've read a few of them in various German journals. They're rather... dense. You'll like them, I'm sure. My friend Susan (Bernofsky) is the one who's translating this new edition.

hundeschlitten said...

I appreciate your honesty here, Tony.

I have a lot of thoughts about all this, but, like you, I'm not sure what I'm supposed to do with them. For instance: What does it mean to be "slightly different than whom I'm supposed to be"? Or how lifestyle, conscious thought, brain chemistry, and the accidents of the external world impact this supposed path. From this perspective, it's almost like there is this pure "self" that we are supposed to be, and the degree to which we do not become this self is our "sin". But I'm not sure how much I believe any of that stuff. Maybe it's all just random, and we've got to find a way to live through the randomness, to create internal meanings, even if they are illusory.

I've got a whole bunch of other thoughts, some abstract, some personal, mostly half-baked or at least idiosyncratic. Maybe I'll put them in a letter.

Oh, and I read about Wellbutrin on Wiki, and it kinda scared the shit out of me. You are a braver man than I, or at least a more trusting one. Good luck on that path. Seriously, my prayers are with you. It sounds like, if nothing else, you are getting some very professional and competent advice.