Monday, March 28, 2011

At the Grafton Aterra's, No Doubt on the speakers, the space only maybe, oh, a quarter full. This morning I bought a new Brewers hat, returned the rented router to the cable company, and graded lesson plans.

Ok, I want to do something a bit different today. I want to write out a list of little things in the world that keep me going. Little things I like.

No Doubt's “Underneath It All”, since it's on now. Esp. the part when the lady (not Gwen Stefani, the other one) raps.
Tea. After dinner I'll fire up the kettle and drink tea. Lately I'm into the Numi dark vanilla. And the Stash blueberry tea. If I need caffeine I'll go with the green and white Stash mix. Oh, and iced tea, too. I get the feeling one of my kids' enduring memories of me will be how much iced tea I drank.
Candles, one on the dining room, one in the kitchen, burning while I'm watching tv or working on the computer.
The moment in which you add the milk to the chocolate, vanilla, butter, and powdered sugar and the pebble-like mixture becomes frosting.
Watching my kids read comic books.
The Hold Steady on the car speakers.
Coffee shops in this order: 1) Grafton Alterra's, 2) Smith Brothers, 3) Java Dock.
Funny/intelligent facebook comments.
Mack and Pete, esp. when they're digging through their “Kongs”, the hollow plastic toys in which we can put dog treats for them to remove.
Bones and Castle, but more Bones than Castle, lately.
The fact baseball season starts Thursday.
My office.
Feeling like all my work email is answered.
Sleeping pills, esp. when I've had about a beer and a half and take a lunesta. Don't try that at home.
M's laugh.
N focused intensely on a science television program or reading Calvin and Hobbes. Or N saying “I have a question” before he asks a question.
T flipping his hair to the side before I take his picture.
S doing math in his head or being formal and polite with a friend.
Cutting through downtown Port Washington.
The view just south of downtown Milwaukee, when you go over the hill and the horizon is dotted with church steeples in working class neighborhoods.
The folk art wing of the Milwaukee Art Museum.
Folding laundry.
Going to sleep early.
Cacti and plants in general.
The Japanese bushes along the backyard fence. I'm a half-assed gardener, at best, but those bushes keep growing and I'm pretty sure my anal neighbors are jealous. Rabbits hide behind the bushes.
Wind.
Driving my car after I've changed the oil, filled the gas tank, and passed through a car wash.
Making people laugh at work.
Feeling like I taught well.
Hanging out with Chicago friends.
Finishing a book and starting a new one.

I'll leave the list as-is for now. More later. I'm in a good mood, glad to be alive.

No comments: